Tuesday 25 March 2008

Ask Ephraim

As seasoned followers of The St Ivean know, Ephraim appeared frequently on earlier blogs, dispensing opinion, knowledge, advice, folklore and myth for the price of a pint or two. So this fount of all wisdom has been invited back to answer any questions you care to put to him. His mailbox will soon be full - so get your questions in soon.

From: A St Ivean
St Ives, Cornwall


Dear Ephraim

When I tie my shoe laces on a particular pair of shoes, I'm sure I do it in exactly the same way with both shoes. Why, then, do the laces of the right shoe always eventually unravel and rarely the left shoe? (In case it's relevant, I'm right-handed).

An unusual question which I passed on to the Guardian newspaper's Notes & Queries feature. A reader suggested this explanation:

I expect if you're right-handed, you're also right-footed, and lead with your right leg when walking, kicking, etc. I bet it gets a fair bit more action than your left and forces the laces apart.
Ross, Manchester

I hope this helps with your question. I'll keep you informed of any other explanations.

Thank you for contacting The St Ivean.